Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Biloxi beach bumming

Shell collecting 101: First make sure shell is empty.

I put a nice little spiral shell in my pocket. Ten minutes later -- oops! There was a hermit crab in that shell. He's back in the water ... although there were lots of crab eating birds about.

I took a video of the little guy, but was unable to upload it to Blogger after several long attempts.

Then there was what I think was a Great Blue Heron ... a real shaggy old guy -- three feet, maybe more, high. The video wouldn't work with him either.

Lastly there were some birds on the beach that reminded me a little of puffins. I'll try to I.D. them later, but this has been too long in the making already. Anyone know what these birds are?

A bit iffy weather for tomorrow. We plan to go to Dauphin Island and then take the ferry to Fort Morgan. We'll see.



I said the heron was maybe three feet tall. After googling them, I'm guessing he would be about four feet tall with his neck extended. And possibly more.

2 comments:

  1. Did the hermit crab bite you? Yikes!

    The birds look like a mix of sandpipers and crows?
    Ha ha! what do I know about birds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a king fisher, but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete